[OpenAFS-devel] Hierarchical caching support in AFS?

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:31:07 -0400

  I am wondering if it is possible at all with
  the openafs-1.0.3 to get hierarchical caching whereby an "edge" cache
  manager upon request for a file from an application that runs on the "edge"
  box pulls data from an "intermediate" cache manager or an "intermediate"
  fileserver...

We tried this once and concluded that in most cases it doesn't help, because
the client caches already skim off any cacheable data, leaving nothing for
the intermediate.  We published a couple of tech reports that might be
useful:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/techreports/

D.A. Muntz, P. Honeyman, and C.J. Antonelli, "Evaluating Delayed Write in a
Multilevel Caching File System," October 1995. [Proc. 2nd Intl. Conf. on
Dist. Platforms, pp. 415-429, Dresden (February 1996).]

J. Howe, "Intermediate File Servers in a Distributed File System
Environment," June 1992.