[reiserfs-list] RE: [OpenAFS-devel] weird issue with reiserfs on 2.4.3 and openaf s

Chris Mason mason@suse.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:35:08 -0500

On Wednesday, April 11, 2001 09:23:50 AM -0500 "Neulinger, Nathan"
<nneul@umr.edu> wrote:

> The only issue I've been aware of with reiserfs+afs was the one I reported
> where it was really slow scanning the cache if it wasn't on it's own FS.
> Everything else has worked fine with 2.2.x + reiser.
>
> Or are you meaning that the iget returns bogus results? Cause the error
> check after the iget below doesn't get triggered. (The msg is 'cant open',
> not 'cant get'.)

Our 2.2 code has a fallback to handle failed igets, but our 2.4 code
doesn't.  So, AFS will need modification to store the extra 32 bits
reiserfs needs in finding the file for 2.4 kernels.

The search_by_objectid fallback code could be dragged into 2.4, but you
really don't want it.  It works like this:

for (i = 0 ; i < highest_inode_number_allocated ; i++) {
    binary search through tree (i, inum provided by iget)
}

This is roughly as fast as searching through the media by hand with your
own magnet.

-chris