[OpenAFS-devel] Starting fs without salvaging...

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:01:54 -0400

>One of the items that concerns me is user management.  With such a large
>system that you have, I am wondering how easy user management is?  We have
>been toying around with the idea of making a SQL backend (most likely we
>will use PostgreSQL) to the MIT Kerberos package.

The only people I knew that did this (well, they did it with Oracle)
said that the performance pretty much sucked, because while things like
PostgreSQL and Oracle are great at handling large databases and doing
queries on them, the one place where they're not so great is database
access time ... and that's really the thing you want on your KDC (I heard
the same thing about people that tried out LDAP backends for their KDCs).

I'd be interested in hearing other stories, of course.  Me, I'm going to
stick with good ol' Berkeley DB for now :-)

--Ken