[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Starting fs without salvaging...

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:08:40 +0200

Gregory,

If you do that, all volumes which had been changed during the last run
of fileserver won't be attached. Why don't you just use the mechanism I
put into OpenAFS? It allows the fileserver to attach all volumes.

Put

#define FAST_RESTART	1

into config/param.rs_aix42.h

You then should modify the salvager line in the fs instance to

/usr/afs/bin/salvager -DontSalvage

To come up faster you also may define

#define BITMAP_LATER	1

which has the effect that the bitmap of used vnodes in a vnode-file is
not build at fileserver start time, but only when the 1st time a new
vnode needs to be allocated for the volume.

Hartmut