[OpenAFS-devel] DRAFT: New sysname standard

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Apr 2001 11:09:02 -0400

Indeed, this is why the original Linux-AFS ports used i386_linux[123]
because there were 3 ABI versions.  The kernel modules were
independent of the AFS sysname.  OTOH, if you want to support kernel
modules in AFS, you do need to have some way to differentiate the
kernel verson.

Honestly, this is really only a problem on Linux.  I can't think of
any other system that has this same problem where the kernel/OS/ABI
interfaces aren't tied to each other in some way.  Linux is the only
system where you can have multiple primary ABIs with the same "kernel
version".

Do any other (non-Linux) platforms separate out the OS version from
the ABI version?

-derek