[OpenAFS-devel] DRAFT: New sysname standard

Jeremy Katz katzj@linuxpower.org
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:29:57 -0700

--J+eNKFoVC4T1DV3f

On Wednesday, April 25 2001, Derek Atkins said:
> Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com writes:
> > The point is: the sysname values needs to describe the machine on
> > which the cache manage is currently running with sufficient
> > granularity, and not be a more generic specification that describes
> > the set of platforms on which the kernel module can be loaded.
>=20
> Perhaps for Linux we really want something more akin to:
> 	i386_redhat_62
> or	i386_debian_potato

Unfortunately, all of these are somewhat nitemare-ish as far as
maintaining a set of symlinks in afs for binaries are concerned.  In a
lot of ways, it almost seems as though there needs to be a mechanism to
have a "canonical" sysname which could be i386_linux24_glibc22 or
whatnot, but also be able to have some sort of table of compatible
sysnames to try if there isn't the one you're looking for.  But I
haven't gone to see how non-trivial that would be to do yet and I'm
guessing it wouldn't be pretty :(

Jeremy

--=20
Jeremy Katz
katzj@linuxpower.org	| jlkatz@eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D

--J+eNKFoVC4T1DV3f

--J+eNKFoVC4T1DV3f--