[OpenAFS-devel] DRAFT: New sysname standard

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:24:38 -0500

Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>> Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com writes:
>>
>> > The point is: the sysname values needs to describe the machine on
>> > which the cache manage is currently running with sufficient
>> > granularity, and not be a more generic specification that describes
>> > the set of platforms on which the kernel module can be loaded.
>>
>> Perhaps for Linux we really want something more akin to:
>>         i386_redhat_62
>> or      i386_debian_potato
>>

>Then you start assuming that just because someone runs redhat they are
>running redhat's kernel.

Not necessarily.  But you would be assuming that the environment
around that kernel looks like a Red Hat version 'n' or debian version
'q'.  I think that's the right assumption.

You're always going to have to build the new kernel load module.  But
no one uses @sys to determine things related to the kernel (??).  The
problem we're trying to solve is the userland problem.

Dave