[OpenAFS-devel] DRAFT: New sysname standard

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
25 Apr 2001 12:42:12 -0700

First off, I thought we were going to go with a configurable list of @sys
names to try in order rather than making people make a bunch of symlinks?
Or is that still the plan and this is just an outline for the most
specific possible values?

Phil Moore <Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com> writes:

>     The architecture field describes the CPU, and is typically associated
>    with a chip set, such as "sun4u" for Sun's UltraSparc. The architecture
>           field can be interpreted independent of the other3 fields.

[...]

> +---------------------------------------------------+
> |Vendor|Value|             Description              |
> |------+-----+--------------------------------------|
> |Intel |ia64 |64 bit Intel Chips (Itanium)          |
> |      |-----+--------------------------------------|
> |      |ia32 |32 bit Intel Chips (Pentium, x86, etc)|
> |------+-----+--------------------------------------|
> |Sun   |sun4c|Sparcstation 2, IPC, etc.             |
> |      |sun4m|Sparcstation 10, VMS bus machines, etc|
> |      |sun4u|UltraSparc                            |

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for you to be distinguishing between
sun4m and sun4u (and you're missing sun4d, for whatever it's worth) and
yet not distinguishing between i386, i486, i686, etc.  The level of
difference is similar, and software compiled for i686 may not run on i386.