[OpenAFS-devel] potential issue with afs client on i386_linux22

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:02:55 -0500

I'm not certain of this, but it looks to me like in certain cases, the afs
client on linux at least doesn't detect the failure of a replicate. We've
had some server stability issues over the past two weeks (still 3.6 2.3) and
I've noticed some of my linux clients running openafs have not recovered
from this, even though the volumes that they are hanging on are completely
replicated. i.e. an 'ls /afs/umr.edu' will just sit there. And they also
don't recover from those hangs after the server comes back up.

Now, it could be that the clients are already hosed from all the hung
accesses to RW volumes, but I'm not sure. I just thought I'd throw this out
in case anyone has seen anything like it.

On a side note - what are y'all running in terms of servers and # of
volumes/etc. Waiting for one of our servers to come up (512GB w/ about 6000
volumes) is quite painful. Even the attach phase where the file server is
starting up takes a long time.

-- Nathan