[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] openAFS on SuSE 7.2

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Aug 2001 10:16:23 -0400

=?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg?= Baus <joerg.baus@kmweg.de> writes:

> > > I use memory cache for the server (root-fs is ext2)
>
> means it's a file server and thats why I use memcache

There is no reason that you need to use a memcache.  Indeed, the
memcache _might_ be a part of your problem.  Can you try using a disk
cache?  Considering /vicepa != / (or at least it shouldn't be the
root) you wont be eating into your server space if you have a small
disk cache.

> > How much RAM do you have in the AFS client?
>
> for the moment:Clientmachine=3DServermachine with 512MB RAM

Ok, that should be sufficient. :)

> > How big do you set the cache?
>
> Memcache is 64MB

Are you sure?  Can you check 'dmesg' and see what AFS had to say
about the memcache?

> > What are the contents of /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo?
>
> geeko:~ # more /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo
> /afs:/usr/vice/cache:64000

Can you try with a small number, like 1000, first?  I seem to recall
some magic with the mem-cache and sizes.  Again, check 'dmesg' and see
what it said about the amount of allocated space.

Or just try with a disk cache.

> Thank You for Your Interest,
>
> -- J=F6rg

-derek