[OpenAFS-devel] memcache on 2.4

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Aug 2001 10:58:50 -0400

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:

> > > means it's a file server and thats why I use memcache
> >
> > There is no reason that you need to use a memcache.  Indeed, the
> > memcache _might_ be a part of your problem.  Can you try using a disk
>
> Has memcache ever been tested under Linux 2.4? I will admit I have not
> tested it, and it may well not work ever, but since Chas originated the
> port he'd have to confirm that.

Good question.  I know that I supported the memcache originally in my
AFS 3.3 Linux-AFS port, and I'm fairly sure the O-A code supports a
memcache on Linux 2.2.  I can't see why it wouldn't work on 2.4.
However I do remember there being some issues with the amount of
memory used compared to the size of the cache in the cacheinfo file,
something like an order-of-magnitude problem or something?  My memory
is a bit fuzzy there.

I seem to recall the cache-size doing something significantly
different on disk v. memory cache.

-derek