[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] openAFS on SuSE 7.2

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Aug 2001 11:08:22 -0400

Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> I do not think that there are enough people around running memcache so
> that it could be considered well tested. Stange idea: Make a memory
> file system with ext2 in it and then run a "disk cache" against that
> if you need the performance. However I have not done that myself.

This is indeed the current suggested practice.  The problem with a mem
cache is that is uses the memory POORLY.  Basically, it pre-builds a
set of cache chunks and fills them in as it would a disk chunk.
However, if you don't use all the 'space' in a chunk, that space is
effectively wasted in the memory cache, where on the disk cache it can
be used elsewhere.

So, yes, disk-cache on a ram-disk will be more efficient than a
memcache.

> Harald.

-derek