[OpenAFS-devel] dcerpc.net - freedce

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:48:19 +0200

Ok, let's talk Win* clients.

> > OpenAFS exists for 95/98/NT/W2k.. So, yes, it's already been done ;)

OpenAFS on Win* is a translator, not a native file system. This has
advantages and disadvantages.

> wow, that's so cool!  client as well?  did anyone get to use
> or license the ms IFS kit and get an AFS client for NT as well?

Arla uses a user space daemon for all the yucky rx stuff and a kernel
module to do the file system stuff towards the OS. The user space
daemon has worked under some version of NT. The kernel module has some
way to go, but there have been sightings of Z:\ under NT. The whole NT
thing was put on hold for several reasons. Amongst them:

	1) The Arla people are _not_ Win* compatible
	2) The development environment had to be set up from
	   scratch as we do not have a NT dev environment by
           default.
	3) The development environment had some *uhum* flaws
	   (the kernel debugger took about a lunchtime between
            break and prompt)
	4) Documentaion on NT file systems
	5) New interesting file system interfaces in every new Win*
	6) Other more promising projects

> go on, tell me you did :)

Ok, not quite, but almost. We need just someone to pick it up, the
tasks left are probably much easier for someone familiar with Win*
land than for us. Btw, I'm not Win* compatible either.

Harald.