[OpenAFS-devel] Call for consensus: configure defaulting behavior change

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:57:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
> >   There are two modes: "Transarc mode" and "GCS mode":
>
> Is it worth considering providing defaults for each operating system we
> support, using the heirarchy standard of those platforms?

That sounds like an interesting idea.  Effectively, it would be a third
mode, with the defaults in that mode based on the sysname from
config.guess.  Presumably it would also override $(prefix) and/or the
standard directories, in addition to the openafs-specific ones I mentioned
in my last message.

> Further, when we
> have install rules which do something more meaningful than just creating
> the dest area as now, we do some combinations of these paths and a true
> DESTDIR, allowing creation of a dest area somewhere other than / which can
> be used to easily create native packages for the operating system(s) in
> question

Clearly we should support $(DESTDIR) in the standard manner.  What that
means, effectively, is that $(DESTDIR) is prepended to all of the
directories, but only for actual installation.  It doesn't affect the
paths compiled into the binary, and it certainly wouldn't affect the
'dest' directory.

> alternately continuing to create a dest area as now as
> "staging" and either springboarding to a final install or creating native
> packages from it...

I don't think we can avoid creating the 'dest' tree, because too many
people are already depending on that layout.  Similarly, it would be bad
to change the layout of what gets put into 'dest', since that would negate
the value in keeping it.

-- Jeff