[OpenAFS-devel] AFS Server on Win2K?

Adrian Friday adrian@comp.lancs.ac.uk
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:54:42 +0100

Dear all,

Just wondering if anyone had had much joy running OpenAFS on Windows 2000?

I managed to find the mysterious missing Microsoft header files, but
was utterly unable to build from the source (perhaps my version of
VC++ was too new - it certainly failed to use the makefiles properly,
e.g. referencing a shadow directory called 'OBJ' and failing on the
yacc/lex parser files etc., but basically requiring too much manual
intervention for the time I had available).

I then tried installing a binary version (I could not find 1.1.1 to
match my linux servers, so went for 1.0.4a - the most recent I could
find).  However, this was far from the first version I tried (which
may account for my current problem).

After some faffing with NetBIOS installation (the uninstaller
previously having done unpleasant things to my protocol stack), I
have the client working well (it seems to muck around with the UNIX
permissions - adding 'execute' primarily - but otherwise works fine).

When I attempt to configure the server using the server configuration
wizard it complains that I must have version '3.5' of the AFS client
(presumably referring to the Transarc product?).  I've tried purging
everything I could find from the registry and on the disk and
reinstalling (steering clear of the uninstaller as I didn't have good
experiences with it last time), but either a) this wasn't clean
enough and there are some legacy settings somewhere, or b) the
OpenAFS server doesn't work on Win2K.

Has anyone had any positive experiences to report?  Will the server
work if I configure it manually (cf. a normal AFS install)?  Even
better, does anyone have a working binary of OpenAFS 1.1.1 they'd be
prepared to share?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian.
Dr. Adrian Friday           | Homepage :
Computing Department        |   http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~adrian/
Lancaster University        | E-mail :
Bailrigg                    |   mailto:adrian@comp.lancs.ac.uk
LA1 4YR.                    | Telephone: 01524-593807 | Facsimile: 01524-593608
Fight unsolicited commercial E-mail (SPAM): http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/