[OpenAFS-devel] afs and byte-range locking ideas

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
04 Dec 2001 23:34:25 -0500

"Frank J. Cameron" <cameron@ctc.com> writes:

> The two biggest problems I have with AFS in my environment are:
>     Multiple hosts accessing Office documents at the same time
>     One host accessing an Outlook PST file

As was pointed out, do to the way AFS File Caching works, you will
"never" get AFS to work with your former problem (multiple hosts
accesing an Office document).  Having a single host access an Outlook
file, however, we should be able to do (multiple locks on one client).

See JHutz's email for a better explanation on why this is the case.
The short answer is that cache invalidation is done on whole files,
not on cache chunks.

-derek