[OpenAFS-devel] afs and byte-range locking ideas

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:05:12 +0100 (CET)

> Ahh, that's what you mean.  Yes, this should be supported.  All that
> has to happen is that client 1 requests a lock (any type of local
> lock, byte-range or otherwise).  The client1 CM requests a file lock
> from the server; if the lock is granted, then the CM provides the lock
> to the requesting application.  When client 2 comes along, the server
> (hopefully) wont let it lock the file (because the file is locked by
> client 1).

I suppose you talk about the windows AFS client which is some kind of
loopback mount + translator. Does the lock make it to the CM (Cache
Manager) at all? Does the lock make it to the Server? Is the
information passed to the second client? Sorry, I do not have the
answers, but I can help ask the questions :-)

Harald.