[OpenAFS-devel] device nodes...

Love lha@stacken.kth.se
25 Feb 2001 14:03:12 +0100

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> In order to come close to being safe, I would propose something like the
> following, if device nodes are to be supported at all...
>
> Device nodes are represented in AFS as magic symlinks, in the same way
> as mount points.
> [...]

When do you need device-nodes in AFS space ? I would guess that you'll need
them in chroot()ed enviroments like for ftpd on solaris. Then you'll need
to take lookups of you magic-device-symlinks outside your chroot()ed
environment, I no not find that very attractive.

Use a memfs/ramfs/tmpfs/nullfs/devfs instead, and created the nodes if needed.

Love