[OpenAFS-devel] [Fwd: History of AFS]

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:41:56 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Ted Anderson wrote:

> As Derrick mentions, the deeper origins of the current AFS code base go
> back to the AFS2/AFS3 development.  This is approximately where the
> AFS/Coda split occurred because ITC/CS took different paths at this
> point.  The ITC wrote a kernel resident cache manager for AFS3 while the
> CS department continued with the Vice/Venus architecture which used only
> a few small kernel hooks.  A lot of the ITC cache manager code remains
> in the OpenAFS source.  The server side code probably has deeper roots,
> but the vlserver, kaserver and ptserver are "new" in in AFS.  I don't
> know the origins of the file volume server split.

The volserver is new in AFS3 as well.  Prior to that time, there were some
volume utilities that could be run by hand on servers, but no RPC-based
service for manipulating volumes.

All of the 'bu*' utilities are quite new, and very obviously not written
by the people who wrote older parts of AFS3.

The entire cache manager underwent a fairly massive reorganization around
the time of AFS 3.5, shortly before Transarc's Linux port was released.
While there wasn't much change in functionality, the code became a _lot_
more maintainable as a result of those efforts.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer