[OpenAFS-devel] Check for CellServDB and AFSDBRR correctness?

Ted McCabe ted@MIT.EDU
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 16:26:19 -0400

At 4:01 PM -0400 7/6/01, Derek Atkins wrote:
>Ted McCabe <ted@MIT.EDU> writes:
>
>>  I've known of some sites that deliberately only published a subset of
>>  the actual db servers.  Also, since the check may happen while a site
>>  is doing maintenance on their db servers, or during an outage, a
>>  discrepancy may be only be temporary.
>
>Question: what happens if the published subset does not include the
>syncsite?

Hmm, good question.  The example I'm remembering did include any
possible sync site.  IIRC, I believe the non-published db servers
were targetted by some special clients.

If the dbservers could be set up to not point clients to the
sync-site, then one might also do it so that clients using the
published list would have readonly access to the dbs.  That may be
desired for clients outside some tightly controlled environment.

Since the dbservers do direct write requests to the sync-site, I
expect the client happily uses the pointer it gets.  It might
explicitly check against the published list, I've not looked at the
code, but there's not much point to check since it has no reason to
not trust the forwarding info.

    --Ted