[OpenAFS-devel] Large-Cache Initialization (Proposal)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
06 Jul 2001 22:52:40 -0400

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> > My guess (I haven't done any tests yet, but I will) is that the
> > directory is getting so large that the cache-file creation is taking
> > more and more time as the cache gets bigger.  My plan would be to
> > break up the cache directory into multiple sub-directories, to try to
> > keep each directory to a 'reasonable' size (say, ~2000-2500 files?)

In case anyone cares, I am currently running a test version of afsd
with my suggested cache patch.  When I just booted with this new
version it took afsd less than 3 minutes to initialize a 3GB AFS
cache!  How cool is that?  Especially compared to the > 12 hours it
used to take.  So, obviously this approach is a significant speed
increase.  Unfortunately I think it will completely eit filesystems
that can't iget(device,ino_t), such as reiserfs.

Anyways, I still need to clean up the patch and then I'll send it in
to Derrick later this weekend.  Namely, I want to make the number of
cache-files per subdirectory a parameter.

Enjoy!  And have a great weekend.

-derek