[OpenAFS-devel] PATCH: break up cache into reasonable subdirs for large cache sizes

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:42:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> I'll give you one reason why I don't like it. Reiserfs on 2.2.x. If you
> enable this here, then a currently high-performance cache will be slower
> than snot. Granted, that is due to interaction with reiserfs, but it works
> great on 2.2.x right now.

And you have no migration path. If you go to 2.4 you're screwed, which is
why my inclination is to not particularly care. If there were a credible
migration path to 2.4 with a reiserfs cache partition, this would be a
horse of a different color.

> I would tend to think that this would be slower on any filesystem that
> handles large numbers of files in one dir well, but I don't have any
> evidence to back that up.

Quite possibly, but I think Derek's reply (configure it so all the files
end up in one subdirectory, even if it's not the same one as
now) addresses this nicely.

-D