[OpenAFS-devel] PATCH: break up cache into reasonable subdirs for large cache sizes

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:54:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> I wasn't meaning this alternative cache implementation, I was meaning in
> general. I.e. I'd like to be able to plug in whatever backend cache is
> appropriate or ideal. For example, I'd like to be able to try the winnt
> style single cache file on unix boxes.

No, you wouldn't.  As far as I can tell, the NT cache works similarly to
the memory cache available on UNIX systems.  This means you have to
preallocate all the cache space in advance, and since you must allocate
the max chunk size for each chunk, cache space is used less efficiently.