[OpenAFS-devel] Large Caches: Implementation Discussion

Sam Hartman hartmans@mekinok.com
17 Jul 2001 17:16:52 -0400

    Derek> Sam Hartman <hartmans@mekinok.com> writes:
    >> Yes.  I think -chunksize tends to be one of the most confusing
    >> things about afsd.  I'd suggest that you take the log of the
    >> size yourself, possibly rounding to an integer number of bits.

    Derek> But then I need to link against -lm! ;)

MY complete lack of sympathy.

    Derek> Honestly, I'd rather change the name than the code
    Derek> surrounding it.  Not that changing the code is difficult,
    Derek> but frankly, I'd rather _remove_ the option completely
    Derek> instead.

I think the option should be based on how the user will think about
the problem.  Do you really believe that users think more in terms of
number of bits in a hash function than number of directories or number
of files per directory?

If so, and I don't have a good feel for this, then you should find an
option name that is something like dirhashbits or dirbits or
something.

If you think things through and conclude that users want to think
about files per directory or directories, then you should change the
code because it is the right thing to do.