[OpenAFS-devel] afs test suite

eichin-oa@boxedpenguin.com eichin-oa@boxedpenguin.com
20 Jul 2001 12:25:33 -0400

> -assume a complete cell available for testing purposes

Note that one thing we (Cygnus, back-in-the-day) did with KerbNet was
to add features to simplify creating a sandbox realm automatically for
testing use; we actually ended up with a dejagnu harness that created
a KRBTEST.COM realm (and yes, it *was* registered at the time, though
it seems gone now) and ran as many of the servers as we could without
privs.  This meant adding alternate port number support to everything,
making sure all config files could really be revectored with
environment variables, that sort of thing.  (This also helped show how
easy it really was to set up a realm :-)

My point is just that you should assume you'll want to add features to
enhance testing, rather than attempting to come up with a contorted
mechanism to test the system as-is; although there is of course value
in testing a "real" running system, the more tests that can be run
with a simple (if slow) "make check" the better.