[OpenAFS-devel] pam_afs.so in 64 bit version for sparcv9?

Charles Clancy mgrtcc@cs.rose-hulman.edu
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:39:18 -0500

> > But I'd also like to use pam_afs.so.1. OpenAFS 1.0.4 seems to come
with
> > some 64-bit support (libafs64.nonfs.o), but the PAM module seems to
be
> > 32-bit only.
>
> It has not changed; It is likely that if properly compiled it would
> just work, but I haven't had time to look at it myself. If a
contribution
> shows up it will be verified and present in the next release,
otherwise,
> I don't know what the timeline for it is.
>
> -D

If you just run './configure; make', it won't do 64-bit.  It only
includes '-xarch=v9' when compiling the kernel module, apparently.

I tried a couple of things.  First, I ran a make, and then went back and
added the '-xarch=v9' to src/pam/Makefile's CCFLAGS, and tried to just
recompile PAM.  It wouldn't link, because many of the other libraries it
was linking against were all compiled 32-bit.

Second, I tried adding '-xarch=v9' to the XCFLAGS line of
src/config/Makefile.sun4x_58, to compile EVERYTHING as 64-bit.  That
didn't work either:

-------------------------
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -g -I.
-I/afs/cs.rose-hulman.edu/openafs/source/openafs-1.1.1/sun4x_58/dest/inc
lude -O
-I/afs/cs.rose-hulman.edu/openafs/source/openafs-1.1.1/src/config -dy
-Bdynamic -xarch=v9 install.c -o pinstall -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl -lintl
-ldl  ;; \
        esac
sys_errlist                         install.o
sys_nerr                            install.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to pinstall
make[3]: *** [pinstall] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/afs/cs.rose-hulman.edu/openafs/source/openafs-1.1.1/src/pinstall'

It didn't get very far into the compile before dying.  If I change the
'-xarch=v9' to a '-xarch=v7' in the above cc line and run it myself, it
will create pinstall, but then when I ran make again it didn't get very
much further before having similar linking problems with other binaries.

I've had the Sendmail/SASL/PAM/AFS scenario working great on my systems
for over a year (ever since Sendmail 8.10.0) -- but using all 32-bit
libraries and binaries.
Charles Clancy, mgrtcc@cs.rose-hulman.edu
sysadmin emeritus - RHIT Computer Science