[OpenAFS-devel] string.h or strings.h

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
31 Jul 2001 02:29:05 -0700

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> The thing people seem to be missing is that AFS makes heavy use of the
> old BSD-isms, having been written in that era to run on BSD systems.
> Until this changes, the "right" thing to do for AFS is probably to do
> what is needed to satisfy its desire for the bsd-ish interfaces.

What BSD-isms do you need to include strings.h for (and what platforms?).
INN uses plenty of non-standard string functions and we've never needed
strings.h.

Is it just for strcasecmp and strcasencmp?  It may almost be easier to
fake up prototypes for those functions in a globally-included header with
an autoconf test to see if they need to be declared than to try to include
strings.h.

If it's for index, rindex, and the b* functions, a global search and
replace in the source base is the "right" fix and isn't that overly hard,
and until the search and replace has been done, one can patch things up
pretty easily with a few #defines in a globally-included header.