[OpenAFS-devel] afsdb support configuration, MacOS 10

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:36:25 -0400

At 6:00 PM -0400 5/24/01, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

>And fwiw I'm trying to figure out how to resurrect the CLied code
>the NeXT port used so the "I ran color ls in /afs" problem can be
>somewhat worked around. This apparently isn't enough to help the
>MacOS X folks but will be a step in the right direction. I'll have
>some of the same issues as I brought up, namely, how do you
>configure it?

I'm not sure if the following tactic is of interest, but it's
what I did on my NeXT, and what I now do with my openafs
install on MacOS 10 on my office Mac.

I mount the standard "RPI root volume", but I delete the entries
in my own CellServDB for all sites which I would rarely visit.  I
can then start up Openafs, and I do not suffer when the finder or
some other stat()-ing process looks into /afs .

Later, if I *do* want to visit one of the sites which is not in my
machines CellServDB, all I do is an 'fs newcell' with the correct
information from the standard CellServDB.  I must admit I don't
actually do that very often, and in fact I'm not sure I've tried
that 'fs newcell' trick under openafs yet, but this seems like a
tactic which would be very simple to expand upon.

Of course, once that site IS added, then it is there until the
machine reboots.  Perhaps there is some way to say "forget about
cell <x>"?