[OpenAFS-devel] autoconf licensing issues

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
08 Jun 2001 17:23:09 -0700

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

>> Of the other files that might be used with configure, `config.h.in' is
>> under whatever copyright you use for your `configure.ac'. `config.sub'
>> and `config.guess' have an exception to the GPL when they are used with
>> an Autoconf-generated configure script, which permits you to distribute
>> them under the same terms as the rest of your package. `install-sh' is
>> from the X Consortium and is not copyrighted.

> Ok. That leaves only "missing", really, which I guess I can deal with by
> other ways. It was only really "missing" and config.{sub,guess} I was
> worried about.

missing isn't required for autoconf; it's an automake thing.  (Unless
autoconf 2.50 now requires it or something?  But that would surprise me.)
Someone just requested today on the automake list that it acquire the same
exception as config.{sub,guess}; I expect that to probably happen, as I
think it was just an oversight.