[OpenAFS-devel] which OS's can't handle prototypes in kernel code?

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:18:23 -0400

> The issue is that on some systems, building kernel code forces the choice of
> what compiler to use, and often, the kernel compilers are very lacking (i.e.
> I know the c compiler on HP-UX used for the kernel has lots of limitations.)

Last I checked, if you asked HP, the thing called "cc" bundled with
hp-ux is not a compiler; it's only there to rebuild a single
automatically-generated source file constructed by config.

It does not seem unreasonable to require folks building kernel
extensions to get a real compiler -- either gcc or the vendor
compiler.

					- Bill