[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Soft mounts for /afs root

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:30:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Jeff Riegel wrote:

> We have been looking into modifying the AFS client to support "soft mounts"
> for the AFS root directory.  Currently, /afs is mounted from your home
> cell's root.afs volume and provides mount points to each cell's root.cell
> volume.  The modification would allow the client to see a virtual /afs
> with cell mount points determined from a client-specific database or
> configuration file.  A mechanism could be provided to allow the user to
> add a particular cell to his AFS root, similar to a Web bookmark.

Visiting upon this point, the ability of non-superusers to add cells to
the fake root.afs should be configurable. Likewise, some balance between
AFSDB and this would be nice, but I can't think how you'd so it, because
AFSDB is basically the antithesis of a database of cells. But this is all
detail that can be filled in later; The "hard" part of this work is
getting the cache manager to do all the right things with the fakey
root.afs in the first place.

-D