[OpenAFS-devel] Soft mounts for /afs root

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:41:47 -0500

Derek Atkins wrote:
>Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
>
>> What about aliases?  We use /afs/ir as an alias for /afs/ir.stanford.edu
>> pretty extensively, for example (and /afs/.ir or /afs/.ir.stanford.edu for
>> the RW path, which is a similar although not identical issue).
>
>I would hope that there were a configuration file that contained
>a list of aliases.
>
>Question: should we code the convention of a RO <cell> and RW .<cell>
>mountpoint?  This way you only need one set of aliases instead of
>two (.ir -> .ir.stanford.edu would be implied by the defined alias
>of ir -> ir.stanford.edu)

RO/RW mappings should be explicit, not based on names of mount points.
Standards between sites vary too much.

--
Dave Thompson  <thomas@cs.wisc.edu>

Associate Researcher                    Department of Computer Science
University of Wisconsin-Madison         http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~thomas
1210 West Dayton Street                 Phone:    (608)-262-1017
Madison, WI 53706-1685                  Fax:      (608)-262-6626