[OpenAFS-devel] initial afsconfig.h.in patch

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
02 May 2001 21:51:50 -0400

    Russ> Neulinger, Nathan <nneul@umr.edu> writes:
    >> I kindof figured we'd want to install the afsconfig.h file in a
    >> way similar to param.h, since that is what is being used now.

    Russ> You want to be a little careful about installing
    Russ> autoconf-generated headers, since autoconf uses the same
    Russ> namespace everywhere and doesn't include header guards or
    Russ> any other protection against multiple definition.  It's very
    Russ> easy to end up conflicting with the use of autoconf in any
    Russ> package that wants to link against the AFS libraries.

For external APIs, you really want to avoid architecture-specific
header files at all.  We've had many times where we have regretted
that krb5.h is generated at compile time in Kerberos.  It's hard; you
may even argue it's not worth doing in the specific case.