[OpenAFS-devel] Revisiting Cache size limitation - Is there one really?

Kangesh Gunaseelan kangesh@real.com
Thu, 03 May 2001 00:52:53 -0700

Hi,

The release notes says there is a 1 GB cache size limit but after careful
review of the code there doesn't seem to be any hard limit imposed by the
code and I am wondering whether there is really a 1 GB limitation or if I
am missing something.

From what I have seen, the cacheBlocks value is not limited or reset to 1
GB in the code.  From what I can tell, cacheBlocks would be limited to the
filesystem partition size/1024 (1K block) and the number of cache files
will be limited to cacheBlocks/10 (assuming cacheblocks is large enough)
and each cache file can grow to a maximum of cache chunk size as long as
the cumulative sizes of all cache files is less than or equal to
cacheBlocks.   Am I understanding this right?

Has anyone tried using AFS with cache size greater than 1 GB?

Thanks much,
Kangesh