[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS Sysname Aliases

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
02 May 2001 11:28:39 +0200

Hello!

I just red the draft about "OpenAFS Sysname Naming Conventions". But
it does not mention the 2 following Operating system names "alpha_dux"
and "osf1". Of course this is becouse they are prior versions to
Tru64.

DECompaq has changed the name of their UNIX 3 times now, however a
sysname like tru64_4.0c or alpha_dux50 would be very very confusing
since the named OS does not exsist. I suggest therefore the following
scheme:

Version 1.0-3.2 is called "OSF/1", sysname schould be "osf1" (the 1
here is NOT a versionnumber)

Version 4.0-4.0e is called "Digital UNIX", sysname schould be "dux"

Version 4.0f-5.1 is called "Tru64", sysname schould be "tru64"

However, this intruduces the following problem:

For ex. "dux_40d" and "tru64_40e" would be compeltely compatible,
"tru64_51"-boxes have no problems running "osf1_32" binaries.

Which means if the systype "tru64_5" is set it schould at least also
"expand" to "tru64" and "osf1" and "dux", but have the default sysname
values as listed above.

I think we schould make "dux" and "tru64" as aliases to "osf1".

We are running 350 alpha_dux-machines here and were never pleased with
the transarc scheme and used therefore our own.

/Jimmy, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.