[OpenAFS-devel] afs-nfs translator

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Mon, 14 May 2001 08:53:23 +0200

> -How problematic is this for people? Does anyone care? How much? Is this
> on anyone's list of things to work on?

I see the following uses for the translator:

* Access from OS:es where native AFS is "difficult" for some reason.
  Examples are Unicos10 and Fujitsu/Siemens UXP/V, Our Cray is no
  longer in production and the Fujitsu will probably soon follow.
  I don't see any new "difficult" OS:es at the horizon, but other
  sites may have other hardware with other strange software.

* Easy access for install. It is often easier to find an install
  kernel (on floppy) with NFS support. We have replaced that NFS
  usage with FTP.

* Easy access for AFS debug. It is convinient to see your src
  (in AFS) even when your native AFS has crashed.

Another alternative would be userland nfsd (on Linux) but every time I
tried it has proven to be exploitable. The whole NFS question is quite
good described with "I'd rather not, but let it be v3 if I must".

Harald.

PS: What else would that SunOS4 box still sitting around do?