[OpenAFS-devel] afs-nfs translator

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 14 May 2001 10:13:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Thomas Vincent wrote:

> 75% of the people on this list have been AFS users before OpenAFS existed.
> The other 25% of people, like myself, did not consider it as a option , or
> see the need for it before recently. I have a lot of Network Appliance
> NetApp's on campus. Some of these clusters I want to give the option of
> moving off NFS. They don't want to throw away their NetApp's. A NFS
> translator would solve this problem.

Either you're confused about what the translator is ore I'm confused about
what you want. The translator would give clients with no native AFS port
read/write access to AFS by mounting from a special NFS server which has a
native AFS client running in a mode where AFS is "exported"; A remote
system call interface and NFS PAG handling allow this access to be
authenticated and to work apparently as real AFS would to the client. So
unless you ported AFS to the NetApp boxes, I don't think this would help
you.

-D