[OpenAFS-devel] Problems with shutting down afsd - revisited

Markus Alt altmark@de.ibm.com
Sat, 26 May 2001 22:02:56 +0200

Hi all,

searching through the list archives, I've found that the problem I've
been experiencing for a while has already been reported:

https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2001-May/000957.html

Having upgraded to kernel version 2.4.2 approx. three weeks ago (SuSE
7.1, OpenAFS 1.0.4), I'm not able to shut down AFS properly since then.
Also the "umount: /afs: device is busy" and "libafs-2.4.2: Device or
resource busy" stuff as described by Kangesh. I haven't had this with
2.2.18 which I used before (also SuSE 7.1 and OpenAFS 1.0.4, kernel and
OpenAFS compiled myself).

The weird thing is that this *does not happen everytime* I shut down
AFS! I've been trying to reproduce the behaviour, but I haven't found
out so far why it works sometimes and why not.

And yes, I've been following the recommendations posted here: Make sure
that no processes which try to access AFS space are still running. Done
that, always exited the corresponding shells, "unlog"ed properly, etc. -
with no effect. If I try to find any process accessing AFS data, there's
none in either the output of "fuser" or "lsof"!

As my machine is a laptop which I usually suspend or hibernate in the
evening before carrying it home from the office, I start and stop AFS
quite frequently. Thus this behaviour is quite annoying, because I'm
forced to reboot - something I don't like to do that often on Linux ...

Another weirdness: Even if stopping AFS has been successful, I get an
error message at the next machine shutdown that /usr/vice/cache (and
also /usr) cannot be unmounted cleanly as the device is still busy. Of
course, there are no more "afsd" processes.

Having checked quite a lot of possible reasons why this occurs, I'm now
at my wit's end, I guess. :-( At least I'm not the only one seeing this,
but that's cold comfort, of course. So any help with would be greatly
appreciated!

TIA,
Markus

--