[OpenAFS-devel] Kernel module recompilation, stability, etc.

Jeremy Katz katzj@linuxpower.org
Tue, 29 May 2001 09:18:05 -0700

--nywXBoy70X0GaB8B

On Tuesday, May 29 2001, Derrick J Brashear said:
> On Tue, 29 May 2001, Kuba Ober wrote:
> > On the other hand, afsd becoming dead is esoteric. It does happen when =
you=20
> > try to kill it by hand (killall -9 afsd). Then even afsd -shutdown won'=
t=20
> > help...
>=20
> Well, don't try to kill -9 afsd; It won't work. If that's the only way
> you're making it unhappy, then there's no other problem. What is causing
> you to need to restart the client on a running host? Presumably *that* is
> the real problem.

There are reasons why people will need or want to shutdown afsd though,
and just saying that they shouldn't do it isn't the right answer.  I
want to stop the client when I get on the plane with my laptop so that
it doesn't take up processor time and battery life.  I want to be able
to shutdown cleanly.  Just saying that people shouldn't stop and start
the client is avoiding the issue.
=20
> > Anyway, are Alan Cox's patches being integrated into the main kernel
> > tree, or is it some kind of `parallel-universe' trunk?
>=20
> It's a parallel universe trunk, which is what makes testing all this so
> much fun.

Most of the changes from the ac series make it upstream into the Linus
kernel.  Linus tends to be slightly slower about accepting patches and
they get tested first in the -ac tree.  When a patch has been tested and
Alan feels it's ready, he sends it on to Linus.  =20

Jeremy

--=20
Jeremy Katz
katzj@linuxpower.org	| jlkatz@eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D

--nywXBoy70X0GaB8B

--nywXBoy70X0GaB8B--