[OpenAFS-devel] File Locking Question

Cameron, Frank Cameron@ctc.com
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:22:17 -0500

I have a couple of questions about AFS locking:

I've found the code in afs_vnop_flock.c that modifies byte-range
lock requests.  Is this code executed by the cache manager or
file server?  I'm tempted to guess cache manager.  If so, does
the NT client use the same function or is it implemented
differently; I haven't been able to find another place that looks
like this, but I may not be looking in the right place.

Also, I've seen the question come up on various lists about why
not change the function to convert a byte-range lock into an
exclusive lock; has anyone tried anything like this? does it
actually have any benefit or detriment?  (I have modified one
test Linux box I have to do this, I think; but, I'm not really
sure how to test it.)

-frank