[OpenAFS-devel] When is an AFS request-response completed?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 11:27:54 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Andrew J Klosterman wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Andrew J Klosterman wrote:
> > > I am observing (epoch, cid) pairs issued as AFS operations with various,
> > > sequential callNumbers without any response packets from the server that
> > > contain any data, only ACKs.  After the ACKs, the client increments the
> > > callNumber and issues an additional operation.
> >
> > Do the RPC's in question have any OUT arguments?  If not, then the server
> > will have no data to send.
>
> Yes, they certainly do.  The operations I see most often are FetchData,
> in the previously described circumstances.
>
> And, the second part of your comment intrigues me.  If the FetchData
> operation fails for some reason -- e.g., the requested data does not exist
> -- does the server have respond with the OUT arguments?

No.  If the call fails, the server sends an ABORT packet which includes
the error code.

> This idea indicates to me that I would need to look deeper into the
> semantics of interactions between AFS operations and Rx ACK packets.
> Anyone have any idea on this?  Where to look, experience with it?

The AFS operations are simply Rx RPC's.  The Rx protocol description that
kolya mentioned earlier contains a description of how the RPC system
interacts with the lower layers of Rx, and how RPC procedure numbers,
arguments, and responses are sent within an Rx call channel.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer