[OpenAFS-devel] AIX .exp files? do they have to be installed?

Sam Hartman hartmans@mekinok.com
11 Oct 2001 18:34:17 -0400

    Jeffrey> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
    >> Do they have to actually be installed into the dest
    >> directories, or does anything actually make use of those files
    >> other than the afs build of the libraries themselves?
    >>
    >> i.e. would an application linking against afs libraries need to
    >> reference afs.exp?

    Jeffrey> Yes, they must be installed.  The purpose of .exp files
    Jeffrey> is to provide symbols at link time which are actually
    Jeffrey> provided by the kernel (in this case, the AFS kernel
    Jeffrey> module) at run time.  During linking, they are treated
    Jeffrey> exactly as if they were libraries.

Once we get shared libraries building there is a cleaner solution,
much along the same lines as AIX libc uses to get to syscalls that we
could use.  You link the .exp file into the shared library both as an
import and export list.