[OpenAFS-devel] fs sysname

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:21:56 -0400 (EDT)

You keep wide-replying, and I read openafs-devel. Anyhow:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Harald Barth wrote:

> > Changing it is certainly possible, but doing so on the basis of that
> > documentation is weak.
>
> Study of ancient source shows that the documentation has been out of
> sync with reality (if it has ever been in sync) since at least 3.3. I
> suggest we define the following as the current behavior:

So calling it a defect on the basis of documentation you also admit is out
of date is sort of silly, isn't it?

> Then we can discuss if the pioctl should be extended in the following
> way:

> The first afs_int32 value in the outbuffer contains 0 for a get call
> and the number of sysname strings for a set call. It it is a set, the
> following bytes have to contain the same number of null terminated
> strings with the sysnames which will be set.
>
> Both the set and get variation of the call fills in the inbuffer
> according to the following: The first afs_int32 value in the inbuffer
> is the number of sysnames if there is a sysname list in the buffer, 0
> otherwise. The sysname list contains the same number of null
> terminated strings directly after the afs_int32 value.
>
> or if we should keep the existing call interface and have a new call
> for sysname lists instead.
>
> Comments on my wording of the definitions and what to do and if I read
> the source correctly are of course welcome.

I prefer the former but could be pushed the other way. Since Ted McCabe
implemented this originally, perhaps he has some comment?

-D