[OpenAFS-devel] Windows' Build Automation

James Peterson jimpeter@us.ibm.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:46:56 -0700

>I'm also wondering if a small perl (or VB?) script could be used to
generate ntbuild.bat
>so people don't have to do manual edits.

I think the above improvement would be an excellent idea.

For my build environment I replaced NTBUILD.BAT with SETAFS.BAT so it would
set environment variables and two pseudo drives, x: drive to VC++
development directory and y: drive to openafs source tree.  I use these
pseudo drives because I like to switch to different platforms (NT and
Win9x) different versions (1.1.1a and DailySnapShot), checked, debug and
different development machines.

Using pseudo drive letters shortens line lengths for include and path
statements, makes most of the enviornment variables consistant and shortens
navigation,  I.E. source is always found on Y:\SRC.

My batch file looks something like the listing below.  It  also contains
questions about the what options you select and then it sets the
environment variables and pseudo drives.

subst x: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98"
subst y: "c:\DailySnapShot1.1.a"
set MSVCDIR=X:
CALL C:\Tol\Sdk98\SETENV c:\tol\sdk checked
set SYS_NAME=i386_nt40
SET _WIN32_IE=0x400
set AFSDEV_INCLUDE=%MSVCDIR%\include;%MSVCDIR%\mfc\include;%include%
set AFSDEV_LIB=%MSVCDIR%\lib;%MSVCDIR%\mfc\lib
set AFSDEV_BIN=%MSVCDIR%\bin
set AFSDEV_BUILDTYPE=FREE
set AFSBLD_IS_WSPP=
set AFSROOT=Y: