[OpenAFS-devel] what's the plan for this libafs configure?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 21:43:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> Is the entire libafs build going to be split out into a separate configure,
> or is this going to be a duplicated libafs-only configure target?
>
> Would be nice to see some more public communication on what the plans are
> with some of these changes... haven't really seen any mention of what they
> are for.

Sorry...

The idea is that 'make libafs_tree' gives you a directory (libafs_tree)
that you can squirrel away and use later to build new kernel modules
if/when the kernel changes.  That tree is constructed by doing exactly
what you'd do for libafs (mostly, making its dependencies), and then
copying all of the source files from libafs plus a few other files needed
to make an independent package.

configure-libafs is the configure script for that package; it is
constructed by running autoconf over configure-libafs.in.  This can be
done at the same time that autoconf is run for the main package; there is
nothing in configure-libafs that changes at build time.  In fact,
configure.in and configure-libafs.in are substantially the same, and I
have a change in the works to merge the common parts back into one file.

I have no intention of removing the ability to build the kernel module(s)
as part of the main package.  Perhaps someone else thinks that would be
a good idea; I do not.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer