[OpenAFS-devel] Trial Baloon for Red Hat packaging

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
24 Sep 2001 23:32:39 -0400

Hi,

I'm looking into making some small (relatively) changes to the Red Hat
packaging as I add krb5 support.  Before I went ahead with these
changes I wanted to ask people for opinions.  The two major changes I
propose to make are:

	1) Change the "release" number of all the packages.  In
           particular, remove the kernel version information and add
           the Red Hat release version to all of the packages.  In
           other words, instead of packages named like
           "openafs-1.2.1-22.1" we'd have "openafs-1.2.1-6.2.1" (for
           RH6.2) or "openafs-1.2.1-7.2.1" (for RH7.1).  This should
           have no direct impact on users, as it is only the 'release'
           information that is changing.

	2) Change the "release" of the openafs-kernel package to
           include both the RedHat release and the OS version.  Again
           this shouldn't have any impact on users, except for
           information purposes.  This would mean that the packages
           would be named either:
		openafs-kernel-1.2.1-22.6.2.1
	   or
		openafs-kernel-1.2.1-6.2.22.1

Does anyone have a preference for which method is used in #2?  Do we
need both kernel and OS versions here, or would just the OS (RedHat)
version be sufficient?

Any suggestions, observations, etc. are welcome.  I would prefer
to stay away from any anti-RedHat comments, please; I acknowledge
that there are limitations in the RedHat packaging model.

Thanks,

-derek