[OpenAFS-devel] AFS and ufs/sds logging on solaris

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:49:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Harald Barth wrote:

> > >The namei server should work but that's a guess.
> >
> > Do not know about "namei" server...
>
> Saving information in a directory tree with regilar files instead of
> (ab)using the file system to store things that are not contained in
> directories. It's done that way on the Linux platform. The choice of
> inode vs namei server should not be made depending on platform but on
> user choice and underlying file system. Currently that is not the case
> (yet).

Advantage to namei is "it's just another user of the filesystem" so it
works pretty much with any underlying filesystem, including filesystems
with "advanced" features like journalling or logging.

Disadvantage to namei is you have the overhead of going through the
filesystem.

There was a presentation at Usenix about a "library for using a raw disk
partition" I think called Hummingbird but it was something whoever (I
think Bell Labs) wanted you to license, making it not interesting for this
project. But it might be interesting to be a user of raw disk.

-D