[OpenAFS-devel] aklog on Solaris 8

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 14:11:27 -0500 (CDT)

>   I have been working on getting an entire Kerberos login system with AFS
> going on some Solaris machines.  We use Kerberos for authentication and AFS
> to provide users' home directories.  I had finally gotten everything working
> on Solaris 7 but my boss wants to run Solaris 8.  I have never gotten aklog
> to build from source.  I get tons of errors and every time I fix one, I get
> a new one.  I was using a binary on Solaris 7 and it worked fine.  The
> binary will not, however, work on 8.  I don't know if this is because of a
> newer release of AFS or Solaris.  Either way, I would like to be able to
> build aklog on Solaris 8 (sparc)and I was wondering if anyone had done that,
> using either Transarc or OpenAFS headers and libraries.  I would like to use
> Kerberos 5 services tickets too.  The binary I have for Solaris 7 uses
> Kerberos 5.  It works without any use of Kerberos 4.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated!

What krb5 distribution were you using on Solaris 7?  I know it doesn't
come with one by default.  Solaris 8 does, however, include krb5
libraries.  The version included on Solaris 8 is not compatable with the
AFS migration kit.  The kit requires krb5-1.0.6, and the Solaris 8 ones
are based on krb5-1.1.x.

Also, after around OpenAFS version 1.2.0, I wasn't able to compile the
migration kit against the provided libraries and includes.  If you really
want to compile it yourself, I'd recommend getting the libraries and
includes from ... say ... OpenAFS-1.0.4.

I have complete binaries for many platforms (including sparc Solaris 8) of
the AFS/Krb5 migration kit available at:

	http://ismene.csl.uiuc.edu/afs-mig/

Having spent last summer deploying OpenAFS/Krb5 to an entire campus
running Solaris 8, let me know when you get stuck with PAM.  I'll be happy
to help.

[ t charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]