[OpenAFS-devel] Openafs 1.2.3 crash on Irix 6.5.11f

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:04:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, [iso-8859-2] Martin MOKREJŠ wrote:

> Hi,
>   it seems at least some explanation of my problems is, that while
> migrating from Transarc's AFS to OpenAFS, I did not know that EFS
> filesystem is NOT supported on Irix under OpenAFS, as Derrick
> mentioned:
>  "We only support XFS and not EFS. We didn't get the EFS
>  support library from IBM.".
> Thank you Derrick!

Belongs in the wiki; Maybe I will remember to do something about it.

>   So, there're few problems: kernel crash with message:
>
> 1.  "PANIC: afs_syscall_iopen: bad fstype = 22"
> possibly caused by wrong fstype. Could that be fixed by checking what's
> the fs type before doing something serious to it?

I thought we applied something to deal with this, but it might have been
for the cache manager only.

> 3. I had a look into the documentation on the web and I cannot
> find place stating fact that EFS is NOT supported under OpenAFS. Except
> the Release notes, I cannot find anything specific to OpenAFS. Only the
> docs' from Transarc. ;( Am I that blind? Anyway, document called Migrating
> from Transarc AFS to OpenAFS would be really nice. ;)

Agreed. Any volunteers?

> 4. Another example of what has changed that "strings bos| grep Base"
> does not give version anymore. ;)

strings `which bos` | grep opena | grep -v Header
openafs 1.2.2

> Please let me know if you want to test some patches for Irix, specially
> for EFS partitions.

Unlikely. EFS is considered dead, and I don't think we're in any danger of
getting the binary-only library we need to use it.