[OpenAFS-devel] CellServDB changes, whom to e-mail?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:03:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Harald Barth wrote:

> The unfortunate reality is:
>
> *) arla-drinkers@stacken.kth.se will get it included in the arla distribution.

Of course, the arla folks could decide to start including the
grand.central.org Public CellServDB in their distribution.  It's intended
for public use by anyone and everyone, not just for the OpenAFS
distribution.

> *) http://grand.central.org/ has an unclickable Add/Update CellservDB
>    menu choice, but some mail adress on that page should do. That will
>    get the entry into OpenAFS.

Yeah; the add/update link was intended for the web-based UI that never got
written.  You can send mail to <cellservdb@grand.central.org>.

> *) Does IBM/Transarc still update their copy or is that moved to Grand
>    Central dot Org, too? That would be for the CellServDB distributed with
>    IBM/Transarc AFS.

It appears that the CellServDB in /afs/transarc.ibm.com/service/CellServDB
is still being modified.  If you are an IBM AFS customer, you can get your
entry updated by sending mail to the AFS HelpLine.  That address used to
be afs-helpline@transarc.com, but it's anyone's guess what still works
after the contortions that IBM has forced upon Transarc's mail system.

Because the IBM CellServDB contains only paying IBM AFS customers (plus a
few exceptions), I encourage IBM's customers to combine the contents of
IBM's CellServDB with the GCO Public CellServDB.  Unfortunately, neither
is a strict superset of the other, since IBM will only include paying
customers, and GCO has a policy of including only cells that specifically
ask to be included.

   GRAND.CENTRAL.ORG/OpenAFS.ORG postmaster, webmaster, etc